While I was reading Jellicoe Road I've been jotting down notes here and there as I read (on my iPod and sepearate papers since this book isn't mine and I'll have to return it to the library.) Anyway something kind of jumped out at me.
Do the adults in this book just don't care or are they clueless? It feels like Taylor and all of her schoolmates (who will now be refrered to as "Jellicoes" for lack of better words, plus it sounds cool.) have this whole other world and life and all these fights, and none of the adults ever seem to step in. They even acknowledge this in the book:
"He was very grateful for the lie. Means he doesn't have to investigate." (about Ben's injuries from a fight with some cadets, he told a teacher that he had taken up football, an obvious lie.) It's just....sad. The only adult who ever seems to care at all is Hannah, and she has somehow mysteriously vanished in the 6th chapter...
Even though it's clear that Taylor can handle herself more than most kids, Hannah's disapperance feels like a betrayal to her in a way. It's easy to understand why, Hannah was the only person who seemed to care about her, and then she just left without saying anything. Part of me thinks that maybe a reason this seemed to hit Taylor especially hard might have been becuase her mother abandoned her in the middle of nowhere until Hannah took her in. I get the feeling that even if they don't always seem to like each other Taylor and Hannah definity have a strong bond between them. Plus from what I know about Hannah (even if it's not that much), it just seems a little out of character for her to just vanish like that. She stays at the school (aparently, for no paycheck or anything, just because she wants to.) and helps out all the kids, takes them under her wing, and then just *poof* vanishes without a note or anything! There has to be a big, significant reason for this! Why did she just up and leave?
I still don't get the side story, and it's driving me nuts!! I'll put in my theory for now: part of me is thinking that this is happening in the past. I don't know how long ago, but I bet it's the past. Maybe it'll be about how the whole 'wars' between the Cadets, Jellicoes, and Townies got started? There's another interesting paralell that I would like to mention. In the book, in one of Taylor's dreams a boy says "from this distance everything is so bloody perfect." Now, in the most recent part of Narnie's story that I've read Tate says "from this distance everything is so bloody perfect."
I wonder if these are some kind of arc words or something, but for them to be repeated like this, I feel like they're significant...
OR a red herring, but I usually trust the author unless proven wrong, or it's obvious, and it's not obvious what this is for yet, so I'll keep going along. Perhaps Narnie's story is some kind of Plot Parallel, or a variaton of Two Lines No Waiting (Two plots are interwoven into one story) kind of thing.
Also you can ignore the links if you want, they go to one of my favorite sites, TV tropes and idioms. I believe it was some webcomic who said "I just love linking my readers to TVtropes, then I know they will have hours of reading, and I won't have to do anything." ^_^ Teehee~!
No comments:
Post a Comment