Thursday, February 2, 2012

Jelicoe Road-Final Post

I'm finally done with Jellicoe Road and my final thought is:

This is a beautiful book.

I liked the parallels in the last chapter like how the book opened with Narnie's parents dying and it closed with Taylor's mom dying. Everything just seemed to fall into place. Even if there was a little sadness at the end it was overwhelmed by how complete and happy the ending felt. I think I'm adding this book to my top-ten list! It was great! Everyone finally has all their histories sorted out (Hannah was Narnie by the way, not Tate, I got it mixed up who was Webb's sister I guess, thinking back that makes so much more sense now.) It's hard to sum up just how much I enjoyed this right now, it started off a little slow but once I hit the halfway point it was definitely worth my top-ten list. In short Jellicoe Road=Awesome!

At the end there were several parallels drawn between Narnie and her group and Taylor and her friends. I get the feeling that no matter what they will always be inseparable until the end of time. Part of me wants to say I wish it was longer, but at the same time…I feel like it’s perfect the way it is. All the stories that wanted to be told were told, and it just feels complete in every way. Maybe the only thing that could have been added would be more elaboration about Jonah’s past and his killing his father, but enough was said to make it clear, and it doesn’t need any more.

To be honest I am really really impressed. I’ve only written fan fiction and a few short stories that stay firmly hidden away deep in well-organized folders that I typically don’t show all that many people, so I can hardly be called a writer, but I still feel like I say too much, or not enough whenever I write a story, but this story feels like it has that perfect balance of just enough being told, not too much and not too little. The characters feel like real people. The detail doesn’t get in the way and it’s not completely sparse. It just feels very well done to me. It almost makes me want to ask the author her secret to perfect writing, but I’ll probably get an answer like: editing. Oh well.

I totally loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who wants something new to read!


Full points man! 5 stars 10/10 whatever you need me to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment